Great Dane has life-saving surgery after swallowing 3ft of red Christmas tinsel

A dog has had life-saving surgery after eating 3ft of Christmas tinsel.

The Great Dane, called Dexter, mistook the festive decorations for food.

His owners realised what he had done after they noticed a strip of tinsel was missing from their mantelpiece.

They raced to the vet where the 10-year-old mutt had an x-ray which confirmed he had swallowed the decoration.

Staff at the PDSA clinic in Margate, Kent rushed him straight into emergency surgery.

A 3ft strip of red tinsel was miraculously pulled from his stomach in one long piece.

Vet Kate Milroy said: "Dexter needed to be taken straight in for emergency surgery, it was clearly causing a blockage and would be fatal if we didn’t remove it as soon as possible.

"There’s always some risk with any kind of operation, but thanks to Dexter’s owner noticing the early signs of problems we were hopeful it would be straightforward.

"I was very surprised when I managed to pull the tinsel out all in one piece though."

Dexter’s owner Paul Noakes, 56, of Margate, says it’s not the first time he has confused Christmas decorations for food.

The same thing happened two years ago, but fortunately, an operation was not required as it came out freely.

  • Piers Morgan shut down for brutal dig at wife Celia on GMB by Katherine Jenkins

Paul said: "When he was younger he used to eat sofas and carpets, and two years ago at Christmas, he ate tinsel, although we didn’t know straight away.

"He wasn’t ill at all, and the first we knew was when it started coming out in pieces at both ends."

His 15-year-old son Mitch noticed a strip of tinsel wrapped around ornaments on the mantelpiece was missing on Monday.

  • Old rescue dogs desperate to find new homes for Christmas before time runs out

A search of the house came up empty and fingers were pointed at the pooch.

Although Dexter was showing no signs of illness, by the following night he was being sick and had to be rushed to the vet.

X-rays confirmed the tinsel was in his stomach.

But luckily it had not moved through his intestines, which would have caused additional complications.

  • Cat is made deputy minister of animal protection after being rescued from near death

The operation was a success and Dexter is now recovering well back at home under the watchful eyes of his owners.

Relieved owner Paul, a full-time carer for his wife, said: "Dexter bounced back so quickly, and you can barely even see the scar already.

"His post-op check was done by PDSA over the phone, and his stitches were dissolvable so we didn’t have to make another journey.

"It’s not the Christmas we had planned but we’ll make do, and having Dexter safely home with us is the best present."

Have you had any lucky escapes with your dog? Let us know in the comments below.

  • Dogs
  • Christmas
  • Animals

Source: Read Full Article