Your weekend long reads 🗞️
Good morning, friends of The Short List! It’s John, here again with your weekend long reads.
As always, we’ve got an abundance of great journalism to share with you. And that’s a good thing, because it seems like everywhere else you look, America is dealing with shortages. From homes to cars and even chicken wings, the reopening of the economy in the wake of the COVID-19 has strained the supply of seemingly everything.
With those shortages has come another unpleasant trend: inflation. The Bureau of Labor Statistics last month reported a 5% year-over-year increase in prices, the sharpest increase in over a decade. Just one example of inflation’s impact: The rising cost of lumber is forcing Americans to delay costly home renovations.
We hope this week’s long reads help you get what you’re looking for – with the least possible pain:
- Americans are returning to beach towns. But restaurants and stores are struggling to keep up.
- Shopping for a new car? You may have to travel far and wide.
- Vacation rental costs are surging: “You better book something now.”
- With chicken wings in short supply, the Wingstop chain has launched Thighstop.
- Like Airbnb for cars? Travelers turn to car-sharing platforms amid rental car shortages.
- Stay home and enjoy your pool – but you’ll pay more for chlorine.
- No oat milk? No may have to do without your favorite Starbucks fix.
- Smart investors should embrace inflation. How to pick stocks now.
Final thought: Next weekend is the July 4th holiday. You might want to hurry up and get your fireworks (if permitted in your area, of course).
Source: Read Full Article