Boy, 2, died after choking on a piece of banana he was given just bedtime in a freak accident

A TODDLER has tragically died after choking on a piece of banana in a freak accident just before bedtime.

Dylan John James Greig, 2, was given the piece of sliced banana instead of a bedtime bottle by his mum.

Mum Danielle Butterley, 30, left the room for "no more than 30 seconds" and returned to find her son lying on his back struggling for air.

An inquest heard that Danielle immediately 999 for help.

Her own brother-in-law, PC Brian Williams, was on duty and raced to the 999 call not realising it was his own nephew who was choking.

Danielle told the inquest in Ruthin, North Wales, she had given baby Dylan the piece of banana just before bedtime instead of his bottle.

She frantically patted his back and "was trying anything" to revive him at their home in St Asaph in July this year.

"I quickly realised something was wrong. He was flapping his arms around and I could see he was choking," she said in in a statement.

Most read in The Sun


Killer LAUGHS as she's jailed for stamping Star to death – as mum gets 8 years


Katie Price SPARED JAIL over drink-drive crash that saw her flip BMW


PM to hold press conference TODAY before Cobra meeting amid Omicron fear


Star's grandad took own life after he sent card to daughter in prison

"I was trying anything. I can't describe the sound that came from him."

Danielle called 999 and was given advice by ambulance control on how to help Dylan.

She said she found a piece of banana in her son's throat "completely stuck fast and wasn't moving".

Police officers were called with paramedics – but it was only when PC Williams arrived at the house that he realised the child was his nephew.

PC Williams, whose wife is Danielle's sister, said he was "incredibly shocked" on entering the house to find his sister-in-law "carrying out chest compressions on my two-year-old nephew".

He led Danielle from the room while paramedics tried to resuscitate Dylan. He was taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd hospital in Bodelwyddan but died later that evening.

"I will never be able to forget that night," PC Williams added.

Having read Danielle's statement, senior coroner John Gittins told her: "I can't imagine for one second how difficult that must have been for you."

He recorded a conclusion of accidental death caused by hypoxic cardiac arrest due to choking on a banana at the Ruthin inquest.

Gittings said the banana had been given to Dylan in an "entirely appropriate" and normal way.

He said: "This was a tragic set of events that ultimately led to the loss of this two-year-old."

    Source: Read Full Article