Dog rushed for emergency treatment after swallowing Covid face mask whole

A dog was rushed for emergency treatment after swallowing a face mask left in a park.

The poor pooch ingested the disposable face covering "in one gulp" which had been discarded in Rouken Glen park near Glasgow, the Daily Record reports.

Vets were forced to give Labrador Bailey an injection to make him vomit it up before the item caused further problems in his digestive system.

Vet Catrionia Reoch, who treated the stricken dog, revealed it is not the first case of a dog swallowing a face mask as she urged people to throw the disposable garments in a bin instead of chucking them on the floor.

She said: "There have been a few cases of dogs picking up face masks that have been left on the ground throughout lockdown; which if swallowed can be a rather serious situation for the dog.

"Bailey was lucky that his owner caught him swallowing it.

"I would urge people to put their used masks in the bin or take them home with them and for dog owners to be vigilant for any masks left on the ground when you are out walking.

"If your dog does eat a mask then call your vet right away."

Rouken Glen vets posted about the distressing incident on their Facebook page, including a picture showing the now-green mask that had to be removed from Bailey.

  • Outdoor drinking banned in much of Scotland as calls grow for England to tighten rules

They warned of the dangers of not throwing away the coverings properly.

The vets wrote: "Poor Bailey was feeling rather sorry for himself yesterday after he ate an unexpected meal in the park and had to be brought to the surgery to be made sick.

"Bailey found a used face mask under the snow and with one gulp it was gone."

They added: "Bailey's owners acted quickly and brought him straight to the surgery, where he was given an injection to make him vomit.

"We hope Bailey will stick to more appetising meals in the future but this does highlight how careful we have to be that used face masks are disposed of correctly."

Source: Read Full Article