Meredith Kercher’s murderer Rudy Guede freed after 14 years in prison

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

British student Meredith Kercher's killer has walked free from jail after 14 years behind bars for her murder.

Rudy Guede was convicted of Meredith's 2007 murder in the Italian city of Perugia.

The 21-year-old Brit, from Coulsdon, Surrey, was found half-naked with her throat slit in November 2007.

Suspicion initially fell on Meredith's housemate Amanda Knox, 33, and her then-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 36, but the pair were eventually cleared after a protracted legal battle.

The pair's case ran through the courts for years before they were eventually acquitted on appeal.

Guede's lawyer Fabrizio Ballarini told the Sun: "My client has paid his debt to justice. He is a free man.”

Speaking to the Italian press, Mr Ballarini said: "It’s the conclusive moment of a very sad affair.

“First thoughts must go to the victim and her family. Rudy has undergone an excellent course of reeducation.”

Guede was due to be released in January but was let out early due to good behaviour.

He was initially given a 16-year sentence but his lawyer struck a deal to do community service for charities in Viterbo for his final two years.

  • Amanda Knox claims new Matt Damon film 'rips off' her story and makes her look 'guilty'

Knox has previously criticised Guede's possible early release, speaking on Good Morning America:

She said last year: "I continue to this day to be shocked that he is the forgotten killer.

"The one who was quietly tucked away, convicted of a lesser crime, and does not have to live with the burden of forever being associated with Meredith's death.

"I do know that many, many people have suffered a great deal because of what he did."

Guede was the only person convicted over Meredith's murder.

For the latest breaking news and stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

In the days following Meredith's brutal killing Guede, from the Ivory Coast, fled to Germany.

After his extradition back to Italy he chose a fast-track trial, held in a closed session without journalists present. He was subsequently convicted of the murder after his bloodstained fingerprints were identified at the scene.

Guede continues to deny murdering Meredith.

Meredith had only moved to Perugia in central Italy two months before she was murdered. She was studying at the city's prestigious university.

Guede was given a partial release from prison in 2017 and his lawyer told local media in Italy that his client was "calm and socially well integrated".

  • Crime
  • Murder

Source: Read Full Article