An armed robber raided a McDonald's for chicken nuggets – but fled the scene with a sausage McMuffin as they were still serving breakfast.
Rudi Batten, who had already raided a takeaway the night before for fried chicken, went to a Maccies and took £50 in notes from a till before holding an imitation firearm to the store manager's head and leading him to the safe.
A red tin containing £250 in notes, two float bags containing £100 each and a bag of coins was taken.
The 22-year-old then asked for some nuggets but had to settle for a double sausage McMuffin as it was 7am and the restaurant was only serving from its breakfast menu.
He is reported to have said: "I'm being forced into doing this. I don't want to do this."
Sentencing him, Judge William Hart said: "The staff were clearly terrified as anyone would be. It's the last thing people would expect in a quiet takeaway in that part of the country.
"A chilling aspect of that robbery is the way the gun was held. It's clear the impact this sort of offending has. There was considerable alarm in the community."
The raid came after Batten robbed takeaway Miss Millie's in Yate, South Glos., the night before where he left with £200 cash and fried chicken.
The court was shown CCTV footage of Batten, wearing an Adidas top and bottoms with white stripes, entering Miss Millie's at around 6.20 pm on February 7.
Woman from iconic 'Disaster Girl' meme sells original for £340k through cryptocurrency
He was holding what appeared to be a black gun in his right hand, and a knife in his left.
Shortly before 3 pm, Batten handed himself in to the police after he had already been identified on CCTV.
A search of his accommodation found the clothes he was seen wearing, numerous coins and the imitation firearm – which was actually a.177 air pistol that was not loaded with any pellets.
Victim impact statements from members of staff at Miss Millie's and McDonald's were read out in court.
One said: "Any interaction with a customer makes me really tense, on edge and panicky. There have been times when I haven't been sleeping."
Another member of staff involved explained he had been suffering from nightmares and flashbacks and was now on medication.
Batten had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of robbery, two counts of having an imitation firearm with intent to commit an indictable offence and one count of possessing a knife or blade in a public place.
Speaking for the defence, Mrs Martin said the offences were carried out in order to pay back a debt and out of fear of what would happen to his family if he could not.
She said: "He is utterly ashamed and embarrassed. He is horrified he behaved in this way. He is deeply sorry he committed these offences.
"The lack of sophistication, the lack of any disguise are indicative of the desperation with which these offences were committed.
"He had got himself involved in drink and drugs and with that comes the problem of paying for it. He had no way of paying it back. He was really quite terrified about what would happen."
Judge Hart also ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the imitation firearm, plus the forfeiture of the stolen money.
Batten was jailed for six years at Bristol Crown Court for the bungled raid.
Source: Read Full Article