Boxing champ among teens killed in crash with bus as parents pay ‘tribute

  • Bookmark
  • Never miss any of the fun stuff. Get the biggest stories and wackiest takes from the Daily Star, including our special WTF Wednesday email

    Never miss any of the fun stuff. Get the biggest stories and wackiest takes from the Daily Star, including our special WTF Wednesday email

    We have more newsletters

    A boxing champion has been named among a group of “rugby pals” killed in a road incident.

    Morgan Smith, 18, was one of three who lost his life when the Audi he was in collided with a bus on a village road in Coedely, near Tornrefail in Rhondda, South Wales. Two others, an 18 and 19-year-old, were killed alongside Morgan while two more teens have been left fighting for their lives following the “serious collision” on a wet, dark and winding road.

    The collision occurred at around 7pm on Monday night inside a 20mph zone, with the five teens all travelling in the Audi for what has been described byThe Mirroras a night out. Morgan’s father, Daniel Chalfont, has since paid tribute to his son "my baby boy" and said he was "literally the most perfect son you could ever wish for." He added: "Miss you so much already. Don't know how I'll live life without you. Literally broken."

    READ MORE: Manchester bus crash horror as vehicle slams into hotel in 'horrendous' scenes

    Click here for more breaking news from the Daily Star

    He was a keen boxer and had previously scooped a Welsh title. He and the four other people in the Audi had played on the same rugby team since the age of 10.

    His mother Laura said: "Just six hours ago we said our usual love you. This hurts so much."

    They had travelled around four miles from the Tonypandy area of Rhondda, South Wales, to the village of Coedely near Tonyrefail when the crash took place.

    Masses of emergency service vehicles were present at the scene following the crash, with police urging the public to avoid “speculation and rumour.”

    Deputy Mayor Dan Owen-Jones was one of the first people on the scene and said it was “horrific”.

    He said: "At times I was numb and helpless to the grieving families. I cannot even describe the pain, shock and suffering I have witnessed tonight… Horrific.

    “It's a distressing time for all. At this time of year it's even worse. Later on there was lots and lots of family and friends. It was very distressing to see the family, but understandable – if it was one of my family I would have wanted to be there."

    The trio who have passed away were pronounced dead at the scene, with the seriously injured 18 and 19-year-old taken to University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff. Two others were treated for minor injuries.

    Superintendent Esyr Jones of South Wales Police said: “Our thoughts are with everyone affected by this tragic incident. Trained family liaison officers are supporting the families at what must be an extremely difficult time for them.”

    To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

    • Police
    • Hospital

    Source: Read Full Article