Toddler dies after being forgotten in hot car for 3 hours by babysitter

A two-year-old boy has tragically died after he was accidentally left inside a hot car for three hours by his babysitter, who has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Arthur Oliveira dos Santos was being looked after by babysitter Glaucia Aparecida Luiz, 35, who reportedly ran an "unauthorised daycare centre" in her home in Sao Paulo, Brazil, police said.

The toddler was left in a boiling hot car outside the suspect's home for three hours, according to police statements.

Arthur was tragically forgotten about and spent the afternoon in the car under the scorching sun, Brazilian news outlet G1 reports.

Police say the suspect and her daughter took care of more than 10 children in their home and described it as an "irregular daycare centre".

Officers rushed to the scene on Wednesday after the boy was discovered, The Sun reports.

The tragic toddler sped to hospital but he was confirmed dead on arrival.

It is thought the tot died of suffocation and dehydration, but an autopsy to confirm the exact cause of death will be taking place soon.

  • Social media stars 'earn millions' from animal abuse videos including snake crushing dog

Never want to miss a story like this? You can get all of Daily Star's articles sent directly to your inbox! Sign up in seconds here!

The babysitter has been arrested on suspicion of murder and currently remains in custody, according to local media reports.

The suspect's lawyers said: "There was never the intent to bring about such an outcome".

  • Boy, 3, dies after drunken family member allegedly throws him from sixth-floor balcony

Her defence team said in a statement: "Glaucia and her family have been collaborating closely with the investigation to clarify the facts, not least because Glaucia did not intend to bring about the child’s death or harm him.

"The defence passes on our condolences and the most sincere condolences of Glaucia and her family to the boy’s relatives."

Arthur was buried in a cemetery in Macatuba on Thursday afternoon.

The investigation into the toddler's death is ongoing.

Source: Read Full Article